On completion of this programme it is anticipated that registered nurses who attend:
- Will be able to demonstrate knowledge of the definitions of dementia and describe the different stages of disease progression.
- Will be able to describe the various causes of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Will have gained insight and understanding of key theoretical frameworks which underpin best practice models of dementia care which promote person hood and use of biographical/narrative approaches.
- Will have participated in discussions in relation to providing holistic responses to the physical, social, emotional, environmental recreational and spiritual needs of people who reside in nursing homes and have a diagnosis of dementia.
- Will have participated in group work emanating from analysis of case studies.
- Will have explored their own roles as nurses who advance holistic responses to the complex needs of service users
- Will have adopted a range of strategies and models of best practice in care delivery